Sunday, August 14, 2011

Happy Two Months!

Dear Reid,



We've had you in our lives for only 2 months, yet it seems like you've been a part of this family forever.  What ever did mommy and daddy do before you?  Actually, well before you arrived on June 14th, we spent many days dreaming about you, talking about you, wondering when you'd grace us with your presence, and ultimately preparing our hearts and lives for your arrival.  Little did we know that God would outdo all our wildest dreams when he created you.

I want to tell you just a little bit about what you're like at this age.  First of all, you love bright lights!  You like staring at the television in the den, the window in your nursery during the day when the sun is shining, and the computer screen in my office (dad bought us an extra big one right after you were born - it was our entry into the Mac world).

Ever since we changed your swing to move front to back (instead of side to side), you love it!  You enjoy relaxing in it after you've had some play time, and you've been known to fall asleep in it a time or two.  Just today, you seemed to be playing a little game with dad.  He would put one of your light weight blankets over your legs, and you'd kick it off.  He probably did this 4 or 5 times, and you kept kicking it off.  Even I got into the game.  :)  I'm pretty sure you knew what you were doing because after you'd get it kicked off, you'd turn your head towards the chair to look over at your dad.  You sure made us laugh!

We still haven't quite figured out how you feel about the pacifier.  We have  at least three different types, but your liking for them is sporadic at best.  Sometimes you take it like a champ, but other times you want nothing to do with it.  What you do seem to like is your fist.  You like to put your fist in your mouth (what you can fit of it), and I've noticed lately that you are starting to find your thumb too.  You haven't actually started sucking your thumb, and your dad's theory is that it's because it's still too small.  I think he's right.  Your cute little fingers and hands are precious, and I can only imagine how they'll look one day when you're all grown up.  Don't worry, I've taken lots of pictures to remember them by!

You are so much more interactive than you were a mere month ago.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised since you've basically doubled your life at two months of age!  You make wonderful eye contact now, and you are getting really good at mimicking the faces we make at you.  When Ava was visiting you last week, she stuck her tongue out at you and you stuck your tongue out right back!  You catch on quick.

Your happiest times are in the mornings.  I like to believe that you're already a morning person like your mommy.  You always wake up in a wonderfully happy mood.  You love it when dad puts you in your little chair at the kitchen table. Even though you're not really big enough to sit in it yet, you enjoy trying to hold your head up for as long as you can.  Eventually, you lean over and rest it on the side of the chair, and you're as content in that position as can be.  I'm hoping this means you're going to be a good boy at the kitchen table as you get older too.  I have no doubt you will.

We love that you've officially found your smile!  And what a beautiful smile it is!  You smile for your mommy and daddy all the time, but you don't stop there.  I think you know that it makes people happy to see you smile because you're willing to flash those cute gums to just about anyone.

Speaking of smiling, I imagine you will HATE reading this one day (because of the boob reference!), but I have to tell you what one of my favorite things in the world is about you at this age.  As you're finishing up a meal and starting to drift into dreamland, you let go of the breast and the sweetest, biggest smile comes across your face.  You'll usually do this 3 or 4 times before falling into a deep sleep, and no matter how tired, worn out, or frustrated I may be, your sweet smile makes everything better.  Actually, not better but perfect.  Your smile makes everything perfect.

You've definitely found your voice (besides just crying), and your coos are music to my ears.  Your dad says they sound a little girly, but I think they are beautiful.  You also make a noise that sounds as though you are saying, "hey!"  It's cute!  And you're not the only one who has found his voice.  Hudson has a new howl too.  We are determined to catch this on video although we haven't yet.  But when you get into one of your full on cries (occasional as they may be), Hudson is determined to let the whole house know that you are in distress.  He lets out the funniest howl ever. It's nothing your dad and I have ever heard from him until now.  He's surely looking out for your best interest, and he'll be the first to let us know when you're not happy.

Okay, just one last thing that I love about you at two months of age.  When you're waking up from sleep, you stretch your arms over your head, pucker your little lips and arch your back in the cutest way ever.  You have the deepest arch in your back...I think you're showing me your yoga skills (you did that once in utero too!).  :) Your dad loves it when you do this little stretch too.

Reid, I could go on and on, but I'll stop now because I imagine you stopped reading about five paragraphs ago.  Just know that you have completely changed our world.  It's brighter now with you in it.  You and your dad are my light and my life.

As your great uncle always says...

Stay in the Light.

Love,

mommy


4 comments:

Chance and Kristi Wimberly said...

Michelle-he is darling!!! Keep up the blogging-it is hard work but you will really appreciate rereading your posts and printing your blog book. As hard as you try not to, you forget the little things and it is such a great reminder to go back and relive the moments! Reid is so precious!!!

kristi

Hope said...

What a cutie !!

Hope said...

Oh how I enjjoyed Reid's company today. He is such a darling little boy. I had forgotten what a nervous person I am when it comes to babies, not knowing why they are crying makes me cry with them !! I love baby Reid and I adore your mom !!

Grandma DeeDee said...

I'm in my chair, I've got my best bud beside me, now where's the remote?